Sous Vide Caramelized Onions Recipe
Cooked sous vide, these caramelized onions are a breeze to make. Learn how to make caramelized onions in no time with this effortless recipe.
Featured Product: FoodSaver® Premier Multi-Use Vacuum Sealer (VS3000 Series)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 lbs. cooking onions, sliced
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1/4 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Melt butter in large skillet set over medium heat; cook onions, salt, pepper, and sugar, stirring often, for 5 to 8 minutes or until slightly softened. Let cool completely. Stir in thyme and balsamic vinegar.
- Add cooled onions to FoodSaver Gallon Vacuum Seal Precut Bag. Vacuum seal according to appliance guidelines.
- Fill cooking pot with water. Add sous vide machine; set to 185 degrees F. Lower vacuumed bag into heated water, weighing down to submerge, if necessary. Set timer to 3 hours.
- Carefully remove bag from water; let stand for 5 minutes before opening and removing caramelized onions.
Tip: The possibilities for using caramelized onions are endless. Go classic and make French onion soup; or add to sandwiches, pastas, veggies, sauces, meatballs, meatloaves, casseroles, and stuffing.
Per 1/6 recipe (1/2 cup)
Total Fat 4g
Saturated Fat 2.5g
Dietary Fiber 2g
Total Sugars 6g
Vitamin D 0.1mcg